RE: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent

Mr. James W. Laferriere (babydr@baby-dragons.com)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 20:10:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Linus & all,

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> >
> > I have found that the v1.03 driver on cesdis dated August 20th works
> > flawlessly under my SMP box w/ multicast enabled under 2.1.123. Of course,
> > I'm not doing heavy amount of multicasting, but gated does refresh OSPF
> > routes every so often. I do however keep getting these damn socket destroy
> > delayed messages every time a socket is closed.
>
> I tested 1.02 about a month ago (it actually made it into 2.1.112 only to
> be immediately reverted in 2.1.113 due to the problems).
>
> That version essentially crashed my machine under heavy load. Admittedly
> the load I put on it was heavier than most people normally see, but the
> thing is that the current eepro100 has been rock solid for me (and others)
> under _any_ amount of load.
>
> If there are people out there that know that 1.03 fixes real problems from
> 1.02, I'd be happy to test it out. Donald hasn't been sending me patches,
> but if somebody else sends me the diff I can try it. However, if it's a
> question of multicast working at all versus a question of non-multicast
> being stable, then basic stability wins every time.
With 1.03 I haven't gotten the Multicast troubles , I do run
GateD in a testing environment here (bgp,ospf,rip2(multicast))
The one trouble I have with 1.03 is that sometime after init
starts (so something in the rc.* area causes this) the interface
gets shutdown . But all I have to do is execute the mii-diag
program from Mr. Beckers diag dir & all is well again .
This is the same under both 2.1.x & 2.0.x kernels .

v0.36 under 2.1.124 seems to run good also but I don't run my
GateD test systems under 2.1.xxx . Although I will when 2.2.x
comes out , so my present concern .

Tia, JimL