Re: Arm the gnus

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 20:44:35 +1000

Rogier Wolff writes:
> > ----- Forwarded message from Richard Gooch -----
> >
> > Eric S. Raymond writes:
> >
> > > I instigated Linus's first shooting expedition in a long while a few
> > > months back (I can report that he is a steady, competent shot with a
> > > 9mm semi). Standing offer to all linux kernel developers: I'll
> > > teach basic defensive pistol technique to anybody who wants to
> > > learn.
> >
> > Eric, I'm aware of your narrow political agenda on the guns
> > issue. Your signatures make this plain. However, the linux-kernel list
> > is not the place for soliciting shooting training. Not only is
>
> Come on Richard, This is clearly intended as Humour. If you don't find
> it funny, ignore it. I seem to remeber you posting a bit of humor
> lately, but I might be confusing you with someone else again, as I
> can't find it in my archive.

Sigh. I wanted to avoid a potential flamewar. I didn't see anything in
Eric's message that was supposed to be funny. It looked to me that he
was being quite serious. It seems rather unlikely Eric was being
anything but serious.

I do think you're confusing me with someone else. I don't recall
sending any humorous postings, ever.

> P.S. Eric, I'll take you up on that offer one day :-)

Somehow this makes me think that you also took him to be serious.

Anyway, to reiterate my point: arms control is a sensitive,
controversion issue. And it is irrelevant to this forum. Good
judgement is to not bring up such an issue on the list.

Again, followups to /dev/null.

Regards,

Richard....