Re: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent

Myles Uyema (myles@uyema.nws.net)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:27:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:
>
> > I did quite a bit of stress testing for the quota code and wasn't able to
> > trigger any stuck processes. Could you put together a script to reproduce the
> > problem?
>
> Really too bad. Well, try this :
>
> #!/bin/sh
> for i in `seq 25`; do
> quotacheck -av & /sbin/lilo &
> done
>
> > When you say "/sbin/lilo" is an offender, does running lilo hit a quota limit?
>
> Nope. / is not quota-enabled (and anyway, root can ignore quotas, AFAIK)
> Also worth of notice, quotacheck locks even if no-one is over quota.
>
> Here's my disk setup :
> -------------
> /dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
> none on /proc type proc (rw)
> /dev/hda8 on /home type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,usrquota,grpquota)
> /dev/hda5 on /bigdisk type ext2 (rw) # SQUID lives here
> /dev/hda11 on /tmp type ext2 (rw)
> /dev/hda6 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
> /dev/hda7 on /usr/src type ext2 (rw)
> /dev/hda9 on /var type ext2 (rw)
> /dev/hda10 on /var/spool/mail type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,usrquota,grpquota)

I too, was unable to reproduce the lockup. With your little seq 25
script, the multiple instances of lilo did scream quite loudly about
having an unbootable system, most likely because lilo was being executed
multiple times and trying to write to the boot sector. A single
execution of lilo after the script fixed this.

13:19:56:root#tty6:~[5]quota -V
quota 1.60, with RPC and EXT2_DIRECT options

I'm running this version of the quota user utility package,
and a clean kernel 2.1.125 compiled by pgcc-1.1b. Quota'ed filesystems
are /home and /var
/dev/hda8 on /var type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,usrquota,grpquota)
/dev/hda8 on /var type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,usrquota,grpquota)

this is a personal system, so I do not have an extensive userlist, and
quotas for users are 2000/5000 blocks for /home, and 5/10 inodes in /var