Re: [ME TOO] Re: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent - SCSI issues

Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:43:05 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Steven S. Dick wrote:

> You wrote:
> >The 1542CF is known to have bad SCSI lines drivers (hardware).
> >In real life you can compare it with a car that has bad brakes and
> >bad tyres.
>
> If this is the case, then could you please suggest a replacement
> scsi card? I've tried the AHA29xx series, and they work very

I donnot sell SCSI controllers.

> poorly with my motherboard. I need a low end card, similar
> to the 1542, which has worked very well in my machines for quite a while.
>
> Obsolete hardware is no excuse for buggy error handling in the driver.

Maintaining SCSI drivers is very hard with all crappy SCSI devices
floating around the world. It sometimes takes days to find why something
goes wrong and finally identify that a device was the culprit and using
email is pain in the ass, since I am sure SCSI drivers maintainers
only make available code that works for them and testers.

I received posts from guys that asked for my credit card for purchasing
SCSI controllers. Now, we receive a 'no excuse' statement for a bug in
a SCSI driver.

Hi guys that grep seems to be unable to find your name in Linux SCSI
tree at the moment,

I am sure that your contribution to Linux will be welcome.
Whining to the Linux list is not kind of contribution that will improve
the kernel. If you are feeling yourself skilled enough to blame, then
you are probably feeling yourself quite able to make superior contribution
to Linux.

> Since when have bugs in the hardware prevented Linux from still
> supporting the device? I can understand poor performance on old
> machines, but not outright bugs.

Can you understand also that I am pissed off by some posts I found in my
mailbox this evening ?

> Are we also to throw away obsolete pentium chips with F00F bugs?

I invite you to throw away what you want, at the moment you want, where
you want, but please, DO IT SILENTLY.

Gerard.