Re: Spawning modprobe for AX25?!

Chip Salzenberg (chip@perlsupport.com)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:44:50 -0400

According to Chris Wedgwood:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 01:29:22PM -0400, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > I configured 2.1.125 _not_ to include AX25, AppleTalk, or IPX.
> > Yet for some reason, when /sbin/ifconfig tries to create sockets
> > of those types, the kernel spawns "modprobe net-pf-[345]".
> >
> > Why? Those modules are never there!
>
> most likely, ifconfig has been compiled with support for them (strace
> it and watch).

I did, and it is -- but that's not the point. OK, so ifconfig is
compiled to look for those protocols. But I've explicitly configured
my kernel to _exclude_ those protocols. Yet kmod insists on spawning
a modprobe for each one, even though I've told it not to support those
protocols in any way.

I don't have a problem with how modprobe behaves; I have a problem with
the fact that it's being spawned in the first place.

--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -              <chip@perlsupport.com>
 "... under cover of afternoon in the biggest car in the county?!" //MST3K