Re: Arm the gnus

Nathan Hand (nathanh@wookie.chirp.com.au)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 06:41:37 +1000 (EST)

~~
On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, David Luyer wrote:

> Please, kill this thread. I hadn't realised quite how insane Americans
> are until this guns thread came up. I didn't want to respond to it but
> the idiocy has dragged me into it - the belief of Americans that their
> constitution is the law of the world (a country with laws which bans export
> of encryption and yet do nothing to stop the masses from owning firearms).
>
> 1: This doesn't belong here. Take it to wherever guns-lobby loonies collect
> and chat about how they should be allowed to bear arms (or in countries
> with primitive laws, defend their right to bear arms).
>
> 2: There is no "natural right to bear arms". Any right to weapons is a thing
> of the past, and the countries where it is legal for anyone to own a gun
> are stuck in the distant past. In Australia, Pauline Hanson's One Nation
> Party was the latest guns-lobby-sponsored political party. Their pro-guns
> and pro-racism policies put them right where they deserved to be - out of
> parliament.

One Nation also mustered 10% of the Australian vote, but thanks to
some clever electorate border manipulation by the government, they
only managed one senate seat. I just thought I should make it very
clear that Australian's are just as rasict and pro-gun as the next
country's inhabitants.

> The Australian society has grown up and realised that a society without guns
> is a far safer society. It takes a cursory glance at the statistics of violent
> crimes and deaths to realise that gun ownership is not a sensible thing for
> the masses. If you need to own a gun to feel safe, move!

I think it is unfair of you to request the topic be moved off this
list, while at the same time getting *your* opinion in as the last
word.

However, if this highly off topic thread has shown anything, it is
that putting emotionally charged issues such as gun ownership onto
mailing lists with international representation is a *damn* stupid
thing to do.

Please kill this thread: some people are clearly being offended by
it, to the point of sheer disgust, and there's simply no reason to
create yet another point of division on linux-kernel (there's more
than enough heated argument over devfs, oom, fbcon and vger).