Re: 2.1.117 up: ALS100 soundcard and pc speaker.

Jonathan Woithe (jwoithe@physics.adelaide.edu.au)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:41:12 +0930 (CST)

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 you wrote:

> I've been having a problem with my souncard since i jumped ship to
> 2.1.117 and greater kernels.
Which kernel did you come from?

> The problem is that all pc speaker sounds are also reproduced on the
> soundcard output. ie console bell is heard on the speakers connected to
> my soundcard in addition to the pc speaker.
Hmm.

> My soundcard is a SB pro compatible Avance Logic ALS100. The soundcard
> dcriver is compiled as modules.
What is the result when you do a
cat /proc/sndstat
?

> The problem starts immediately the first time the modules are loaded
> after a boot. Then it doesn't go away, even when the sound card modules
> are unloaded. Only a reboot and not loading the soundcard modules makes
> the problem go away.
This sounds like the PC speaker signal *may* be physically connected to an
auxillary input on the soundcard. Does the PC in question have an internal
speaker? Does the internal speaker work before and/or after loading of the
sound module?

> It doesn't happen with kernel 2.0.
It may be that the aux input the speaker is connected to happened to be
turned down in 2.0 by default. Between 2.0 and now it is possible that
this input defaults to being turned up for some reason. The driver has
undergone considerable changes during 2.1.x.

Regards
jonathan

--
* Jonathan Woithe    jwoithe@physics.adelaide.edu.au                        *