Re: Serious flaw in glibc ?

Simon Kirby (sim@netnation.com)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:36:22 -0700 (PDT)

On 13 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Yes, ugly. However, the other alternative (that doesn't work with some
> 2.1.x kernels, but they are broken, so you can just blame the kernel in
> that case) is to just append a '/' to the end of the name. That way the
> kernel will not allow you to open the file unless it's a directory.

I notice this behavior still happening in recent 2.1 kernels that doesn't
happen in 2.0 kernels:

[sroot@blue:/root]# ls -l foo
/bin/ls: foo: No such file or directory
[sroot@blue:/root]# ls -l foo/
/bin/ls: foo/: Not a directory
[sroot@blue:/root]# ls -l foo/.
/bin/ls: foo/.: No such file or directory

(In 2.0.*, the error is always ENOENT).

Is this intentional or should it be fixed?

Simon-

| Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
| mailto:sim@netnation.com | NetNation Communications |
| http://www.netnation.com/ | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |