Re: setting access rights to priviledged ports

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@guardian.no)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 23:06:49 +0200

On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 05:40:23PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I seem to remember people working on a "thingie" that would allow
> the sysadm to say that port 25 can be opened by user 'mail' so that
> sendmail can be made setuid-mail (and so on for news, dns, ...)
>
> Does such a thing exist ?

What you need is a 'portd' daemon and a patch to glibc. When a
process tries to open a privileged port and fails, glibc will try to
connect to the portd daemon and let portd open the port on behalf of
the process.

I think this should be regarded as a userland problem since speed
isn't critical.

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/