Re: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 00:33:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Olaf Titz wrote:
> > I disgaree. I think that NT is not, and has never been, a threat
> > to Linux. The latest NT abortion is no different.
>
> It is. People who never have really _used_ a computer get bombarded
> with trade magazine articles which consistently tell that "NT is the
> future". So these people decide that "NT is the future", and NT will
> be used, and Unix abandoned.

But people who never used a computer are the most easy part of mankind to
convince to use Linux. They're not used to crashing computers and are annoyed
if their computer crashes, unlikely `experienced' M$ users. I remember girls,
almost with tears in their eyes, `it's not possible that it crashes that much,
it must be me'...

Real newbies have to learn how to use a computer anyway. Chosing `start' to
shutdown your computer is counter-intuitive. Learning simple UNIX commands is
not much more difficult than learning the M$ logic.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be