Re: the zImage step went wrong

Matthias Andree (mandree@sx1.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 11:08:59 +0200

On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 11:49:44PM +0200, Marc Corel wrote:
> While compiling the kernel, at the make zImage step, I got:
> /usr/src/linux-2.0.32/include/mcd.h:114:WARNING: You have not edited
> mcd.h
> /usr/src/linux-2.0.32/include/linux/mcd.h:115:WARNINGS:perhaps Irq s and
> I/O
> settings are wrong..
> Except that I didnt compile kernel with sound card support (cause I do
> not hace any), I really dont understand what 's going wrong..

This is NOT a kernel issue, but your fault not reading the docs! Check
your /usr/src/linux-2.0.32/Documentation!

Besides, you ought to really read the linux-kernel FAQ that came with
the subscription of this list.

Open your eyes, it states very very clearly what is really wrong. It
has nothing to do with sound cards, but with:

/usr/src/linux-2.0.32/include/mcd.h:114:WARNING: You have not
edited mcd.h

Besides, you do not really want to build a 2.0.32 kernel. Get
patch-2.0.33 to -2.0.35, apply them (check
/usr/src/linux/scripts/patch-kernel). 2.0.32 had severe networking bugs
which can render you machine unusable when attacked and cause data
loss. (At least, for me it did).

Also, use mcdx instead of mcd if you can. If you cannot, you will
definitely need to fiddle with mcd.h (see above for precise location
thereof) That saves you this nasty mcd.h configuration issue (thus, the
warnings also) above, you still need to specify the correct Mitsumi
adapter settings (DMA, IDE, port address) in LILO or Loadlin, however.

If you don't know how to do this, check the documentation, especially
/usr/doc/howto/html/Kernel-HOWTO.html or wherever else you find the
Kernel-HOWTO.

--
Matthias Andree