Re: [OT] Re: Cosmetic Changes: ensuring decency of the Linux Kernel Source.

Jakub Jelinek (jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 16:22:02 +0200 (MET DST)

> > The correct action here would be to fix whatever it is DaveM has fucked
> > up. Then remove the no longer needed printk().
>
> if you actually read the source, it is very likely that say EGCS optimizes
> that panic away completely, because it's impossible to reach it.

Well, it does not, and even if it did, it would probably keep the string
constant in the resulting object (as Martin Mares has not implemented yet
the garbage collector for unused constants he proposed).
Try
if (0) bar("unused string");

and unused string will be in rodata anyway.

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University