Re: Another dead horse to beat upon (building 2.0.28 with egcs)

Maddog Abel (mad.dog@alumni.ust.hk)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 01:25:21 +0800

Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:
> >
> > Other than it went "oops" here and staring line by line through the code
> > no. I can however point you at a very useful resource on the matter
> >
> > http://www.suse.de/~florian/kernel+egcs.html
> >
> Umm, the patch from that URL only addresses the ioport stuff, but it misses
> out on all the volatile and whatever fixes that have been added to 2.1 over
> the last year or two.
>
> I've seen some networking oopses on our servers which may or may not be
> traceable to having compiled 2.0.xx with egcs-1.1. I certainly would NOT
> take any chances.

[snip]

Certainly. Thou it do compile with egcs/pgcc 1.1, my X server refuses to
start and strace gives no valuable output ....... hope it's SuSE's error
and not mine :)

Abel Cheung