Re: SMP Setup

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:51:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Gary Smith wrote:

> I have a dual Pentium 166 Tyan board with processors. My question is
> simple. Do I have to install special software for it to start using both
> processors or will it automatically detect the second processor and start
> using it at boot time?
>
> I have seen a lot of discussion about SMP but no where does it tell you how
> to set it up. Please don't tell me that it is in the 103 page how which
> just describes what SMP is.

Just leave the SMP=1 in the Makefile (the default). Build the kernel
in the normal way and boot it.

If your board has minimum bugs, /proc/cpuinfo will show two processors
humming away. Also /proc/interrupts will show the new (faster) SMP
interrupt controller working.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.123 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).