Re: Cyrix Detection hangs machine on 2.0.35, 2.0.36pre13, and late 2.1.1xx

Rafael Reilova (rreilova@ececs.uc.edu)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 12:31:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Tom,

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Tom Sightler wrote:

[...]
> servers, etc. However, upon compiling 2.0.35 I've found that these machines
> hang at Calibrating delay loop..., also, all the recent 2.1.xxx versions do
> the same, as well as 2.0.36 pre13. There was a version of 2.1.xxx around
> 110 that has temporarily disabled the enhanced chip detection and this
> version did boot on these machines.

Have you tried 2.1.116 or laters. There is an explicit test in the Cyrix
code for both the presence of the DIR registers, and later for a 6x86
class cpu before attempting any cpuid games (and all done in C). If this
is not working I'll be very interested I finding out why, since the test
procedures are the Cyrix Inc. recommended ones.

On last thing, you *do* have SMP=1 commented out, right? This is *very*
important.

Cheers,

Rafael