RE: SMP Setup

Smith, Gary (SmithG@calguard.ca.gov)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:05:08 -0700

Thanks for the info, now for the next question, I am running RedHat 5.1
(2.0.34-0.6) that I would also like to upgrade. I have spent some time
familiarizing myself with kernel compiling and would now like to
upgrade. I would assume that 2.0.35 is the stable version so I should
start there but I would also like to put together a Linux 2.1.125
machine for development. To do this do I need to download the 2.1.125
patch and the patch the 2.0.34 code or is the something else that needs
to be done?

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory Maxwell [mailto:linker@z.ml.org]
Sent: Friday, October 16, 1998 1:00 PM
To: Gary Smith
Subject: Re: SMP Setup

First you need to know how to recompile a kernel. Check
the howto or ask
me..

Secondly, you need to edit the Makefile in
/usr/src/linux.

Uncomment the line that says SMP=1

Recompile.

Tada..

If all else fails.. Tell me what kernel you want and a
system config and
I'll compile it for you.

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Gary Smith wrote:

> I have a dual Pentium 166 Tyan board with processors.
My question is
> simple. Do I have to install special software for it
to start using both
> processors or will it automatically detect the second
processor and start
> using it at boot time?
>
> I have seen a lot of discussion about SMP but no where
does it tell you how
> to set it up. Please don't tell me that it is in the
103 page how which
> just describes what SMP is.
>

> -
"unsubscribe linux-kernel" in