Re: /proc/bus/pci odd behavior

Sat, 17 Oct 1998 08:55:24 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

> > While digging through some of the /proc files, I stumbled across some
> > interesting behavior in /proc/bus/pci. This doesn't seem to be very
> > serious, as things recover just fine after a few seconds, and it only
> > works as root, but reading a file in /proc/bus/pci/00 on my system (09.0
> > in this case) causes my SCSI controller to flip.
>
> This is a known problem (already discussed in this list a week ago). Your
> SCSI card has configuration registers with side effects on reads and you are
> root, therefore /proc/bus/pci does exactly what it should do.

I just noticed that I forgot a NOT is my reply to this posting that made
me say the opposite I wanted to say (at least a NOT has to be added as
follow):

: Your hardware is probably quite fine. Just never try to read more than the
: first 64 bytes of PCI configuration space from any device, since the
: remaining bytes are device specific and the PCI specifications does
DO NOT
: explicitely required this space to be readable without side effects.
REQUIRE

Martin, I am expecting you to let us know how I am wrong. ;-)

Regards,
Gerard.