Re: NDAs & http://www.initio.com/beta.html & 9200/9400UW support for Linux?

Alex Butcher (linkern@cocoa.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 17:05:32 +0100 (GMT)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
>
> > I've been wondering where to download the source code the image
> > offered on the above URL? I'm assuming that this is only an
> > oversight, and that you will follow your obligations that the Linux
> > license (see the file COPYING in the Linux kernel distribution)
> > forces on everyone (with the exception of the orginal authors as a
> > community).
>
> Don't bother. I looked into this a long time ago and just
> ended up buying an Advansys controller. You can also buy
> Mylex or some other Open Source friendly company.

This has been discussed to death on /. this week. The posting of an NDA'ed
binary-only kernel was a mistake of their new webmaster who wasn't aware
there was anything wrong with doing so.

AFAIK, Initio have supported Linux in the past with contributed
source drivers and plan to make the source for this driver public
"shortly".

> There's (IMHO) only one real tactic to force companies
> like Initio to open up -- vote with your wallet and buy
> from other companies. In the SCSI case, there are enough
> (better) choices available, so don't bother.

I think it's a little early to say "don't buy Initio" (at least on
Linux-friendliness, anyways); let's wait and see what they do first...

> Rik.

Best Regards,
Alex.