Re: lockup with linux-2.1.125/pre126-1, go with linux-2.1.124

Simon Kirby (sim@netnation.com)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 23:09:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Frank Bernard wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I sometimes observe a complete lockup of my machine with
> linux-2.1.125, pre-2.1.126-1 also tested.
> Back to 2.1.124 all works. Same configuration.
>
> In linux-2.1.125 the machine locks up for some seconds, sometimes
> forever.
>
> Did anyone observe this behaviour, too ?

Lemme guess...ASUS P2L97-(d)s w/onboard AIC7880? If so, yes. It's a
known problem with the 5.1.[012] AIC7xxx driver, and I can't seem to
figure out what.

What you're actually experiencing is probably a wad of SCSI bus resets
which seem to disable all interrupts for long periods of time at some
points. Have you checked your kernel messages ("dmesg", klogd output)
with the new kernel running when it starts pausing?

The 5.0 driver seems to work fine, so you might want to try backpatching.
I have a problem here, though, where I have an older revision of the
AIC7xxx chipset (which seems to have "Korea" printed on the chip while all
other chips seem to have "Hong Kong") that seems to be causing the 5.0
drive to oops on boot right after printing the MMAP information. The
ooooold 4.1 driver works, though, but I don't think it's going to work
with 2.1 kernels.

So, I'm stuck until this problem is figured out. Anybody?

Simon-

| Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
| mailto:sim@netnation.com | NetNation Communications |
| http://www.netnation.com/ | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |