Re: Cyrix Detection -- NO SMP, please ?????

C S Hendrix (shendrix@escape.widomaker.com)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 16:59:19 -0400

In message <ABVCWAsSeN@khim.mccme.ru>, "Khimenko Victor" writes:

> No. It's kernel issue. Installation CD has image of ONE, EXACTLY ONE floppy
> (1.44" -- even 2.88" not supported by all BIOS'es). Since this floppy MUST
> include kernel and all drivers needed to obtain access to CD this effectively
> means that this floppy could include EXACTLY ONE kernel -- SMP one since we
> must detect SMP :-)

You don't have to detect SMP or run SMP during the install.

OS/2, NT, and many UNIX I have installed run UP during the install.
After installation, they either switch to SMP if you have it or tell
you how to do it. Many rebuild the kernel as the last step before
rebooting.

That makes it a distribution problem.

> You are wrong. It's kernel issue.
> 1. BEFORE distribution will select ANYTHING installation program MUST be
> able to start. Since installation program is program for Linux.

A UP kernel will start on an SMP machine just fine. Then the
DISTRIBUTION install program can check for SMP and take whatever
action is appropriate.

It would be nice if the DISTRIBUTIONS handled selecting an SMP setup
during installation, but it isn't that painful to do it yourself
and I'm sure they'll eventually handle SMP as well.

--
csh - shendrix@widomaker.com - Dilbert is one of my coworkers...