Re: WINMODEM driver

Craig Schlenter (craig@is.co.za)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 07:39:56 +0200 (SAST)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 18, 1998 at 05:09:57PM +0100, christophe leroy wrote:
>
> > Is there somewhere a driver for a internal Winmodem ISA card ? If
> > not, does someone know where i can find technical informations to
> > develope one ?

[snip]
> I've tried to get details for the cards from several sources, but so
> far everything has gone to /dev/null. I might try calling the
> companies as email certainly doesn't seem to work,
[snip]

Same here. I've tried getting the details for the USR winmodems from 3com.
No luck. This was the reply I got:

{quote}
Thank you for contacting 3Com Online Support. All of the technical
specifications for the Winmodem, as well as source code for the drivers,
are proprietary information. I seriously doubt that they will be made
available at any time in the near future. I apologize for any
inconvenience.
{end quote}

I suppose there is a miniscule chance that if enough people ask for it
that they might release the details at some stage but I think I'll spend
the extra $$$ and get a real modem instead.

Cheers,

--Craig