Linux and sparse memory (was Re: Breaking the 64MB barrier)

J.D. Bakker (bakker@thorgal.et.tudelft.nl)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:40:22 +0200

At 8:13 AM +0200 19-10-1998, david parsons wrote:
> A brute-force memory scan might be useful, but it could get unhappily
> bitten by memory holes, and until Linux supports sparse memory, it's
> somewhat pointless to look above a memory hole.

Is it true that the kernel has problems on machines/architectures where
main memory isn't contiguous ? That would be quite a downer for my plans to
build a Linux-running StrongARM board, as the DRAM banks on a SA-1100 have
pretty large holes in between (in physical address space).

Jan-Derk Bakker.
[Coming to a theatre near you: inexpensive SA-1100 boards. If I get Linux
to run on them, that is]

--
Why is my good friend the Y2K cobol programmer selling all his goods,
buying gold, guns & food and moving his family to a place in the