Re: bug introduced in 2.0.34

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:46:25 -0400 (EDT)

Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl writes:

>>> Then explain why people with hour difference problems in SMB
>>> found they went away when it was changed to use that.
> So, I withdraw my scepticism, it is true that there is such buggy software
> around, but of course still maintain that the kernel should be fixed.

How about this?

void set_local_time_offset(int new_utc_offset, long time_to_change_at);

The first parameter is the new offset from UTC, including both time zone
and local weirdness. The second parameter is the UTC time at which the
change takes effect. The kernel can hold exactly one pending change.

Maybe steal a bit somewhere to tell what to do with the exact moment
that the time changes.

So then the offset always gets added for filesystems that need local
time. That should be faster than the if() used now.