Re: WINMODEM driver

Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
20 Oct 1998 02:21:00 +0200

khim@sch57.msk.ru (Khimenko Victor) writes:

>It was discussed 1000 times in linux-kernel list. Short summary:
> 1. WinModem are braindead devices in first place. Thay could work reliable in
> RT-Linux but they COULD NOT reliable work in Windows or "standard" Linux
> (not belive me? try to run some VERY time-consuming program under Windows
> and try to use Winmodem at the same time).

There is more to WinModems than this. According to your definition
there must not be any WinModems for NT alas there are some.

At least the Lucent PnP WinModem (which I have in my Acer Notebook)
uses a DSP to do all the hard work and the onboard CPU just for
non-timecritical things like the V.42 protocol. It should be possible
to write a driver for such a modem and use the existing code for sync
serial communication as a base for the CPU stuff (Don't ask me to do
this... ;-) )

So there is more than one truth.

> 2. Since WinModem is braindead device most manufacturers will not show you
> technical documentation. In fact it's not known even one WinModem with
> enough for creation of Linux driver technical documentation.

This is not correct. You can get documentation for the Lucent chips
from www.lucent.com.

> So... Just forgot about this evil creation and use real modem :-))
> Almost the same is true about WinPrinters (1. is not 100% true for
> them but 2., 3., 4. are there as well).

I have a notebook with onboard modem. What should I do, rip it out?

Kind regards
Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen --             hps@tanstaafl.de
TANSTAAFL! Consulting - Unix, Internet, Security

Hutweide 15 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 "There ain't no such D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20 thing as a free Linux"