Re: Does linux first allocate under 64MB?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:27:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > If you put more memory in one of those machines, will linux first use the
> > lower 64MB, and then the rest? Is there any way to prioritize
> > memory like
>
> No. Only working solution I've seen (and I've had working on my
> computer) was to use uncachable memory as ramdisk. Maybe there's patch
> (called slowmem) somewhere, or I could generate one.

The patch is called slram. I don't know the URL from the
top of my head, but it is linked from the Patches section
of the Linux-MM site on my home page. ;)

If you (or anybody else) happens to know more Linux MM/VM
patches, please let me know...

Rik.