Re: Cyrix Detection -- NO SMP, please ?????

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:53:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.981019144813.25753A-100000@z.ml.org>, Gregory
> Maxwell
> writes:
> +-----
> | I said that most dists should ship with PPRO optimized kernels (they work
> | on 486+ cpus).. Some people took that to mean droping i386 support. Thats
> | not what I ment.
> +--->8
>
> There's no problem providing and selecting kernels to be installed. But the
> kernel used *to* install does not need:
>
> * PPro optimizations
> * SMP
>
> Anyone who thinks they are required *during* the install needs to deal with
> their DSW problem :-)

I dont think that SMP should be there.. But the kernel should be the most
likely to be used one.. This will make sure incompatibilitys happen soon
rather then later..

Furthermore, it will then be possible to do a zero reboot install on those
computers (those=ones that end up using the same as install)..