Re: get_unused_fd()

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:54:38 -0400 (EDT)

On 21 Oct 1998, Magnus Ahltorp wrote:

> > > Does anyone have religious problems with this patch?
> >
> > I'd like to know who and why needs it..
>
> I sent a message to the list some weeks ago (included below) and since
> no one has commented on that, I supposed that there were no
> objections.
>
> The thing is, it's very hard to do some serious file system modules
> hacking without these functions. Since the Linux module system is
> built the way it is, symbol names have to, as you know, be explicitly
> exported.

It would be nice if you'ld show how _exactly_ you are going to use
get_empty_filp(). There are several reasons to split inuse_filp into
several lists (for superblock; for tty; for protocol family). That would
simplify dquot.c and some nasty stuff in tty_io.c. Right now I'm
experimenting with such patch and if everything will go OK I'm going to
submit it to Linus in a day or two. We got waaay too many leaks/dangling
pointers/etc. in the code that deals with struct file's. I'm trying to go
through this stuff and massage it into something more coherent. And IMHO
get_empty_filp() belongs to guts of that stuff.
Al

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.