Re: wtmp problems (with "last")

Andreas Jaeger (aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de)
22 Oct 1998 11:01:24 +0200

> With RH5.1, few if any of the updated RPM's (mea culpa :-), 2.1.108, I
> keep getting entries like these throughout my "last" printouts, which if
> I am correct means corruption in the wtmp file (?):

> ing *4*** ?***P****4*****@ Wed Oct 21 18:02 still logged
> in
> x6*@**** otify ***@ Wed Oct 21 18:02 still logged
> in

glibc2 which is used with RedHat 5.1 uses a different (larger) utmp
format than libc5. If you've got program that expect the libc5 utmp
format, you'll notice this corruption. Just upgrade those binaries.
When upgrading from a libc5 distribution to a glibc2 one, you should
also `rm wtmp' since the format has changed.

Andreas
P.S. This is offtopic to linux-kernel.

--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de