Re: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:54:48 -0700 (PDT)

On 21 Oct 1998, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> But we need many different informations from the kernel. Just a few
> which pop into my mind: pagesize, max fds/system, max fds/user, total
> number processors, number processors online.

You can get a lot of that from /proc already.

Quite frankly, I don't care about theory. Yes, in theory there's a lot you
need. In practice, I don't see any real people clamouring for it.

And discussing this at this point is useless anyway. It's not getting past
the code-freeze - if people haven't been needing it before now, there's no
excuse for saying that we need it NOW.

Linus