Re: [Maybe Off-topic] Production Installations

jens@pinguin.conetix.de
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 23:41:45 +0200

On Thu, Oct 22, 1998 at 12:52:44PM -0700, Linux Lists wrote:

> Every time I install RedHat (or any other Linux distribution) in a system,
> I have to select everything I want/don't want to install again, even if
> Some OS's (SCO Unixware 7, for instance) have a very interesting feature,
> which allows the installer to record his installation options, so that he
> Is it my lack of knowledge or this really does not exist in any Linux
> distribution?

This does exist, at least in the SuSE distribution (http://www.suse.de)
which is being marketed and known as a 'new-user distribution'. You can
select packages and save your package selection in a file which can be saved
on floppy (or elsewhere) and reloaded at will. They provide you with about
20 pre-compiled selections for specific needs (desktop system, internet
server, graphics workstation, games, development system, etc.).

I'd LOVE to see something like this in Debian 2.1 ... something like "dpkg
--listpackages > packages.list" and "dpkg --installpackages < packages.list"
or whatever. But thats for the debian mailing list :)

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________http://www.pinguin.conetix.de_
    cat /dev/boiler/water | tea | sieve > /cup