Re: -j zImage (locales)

jens@pinguin.conetix.de
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 00:09:28 +0200

On Thu, Oct 22, 1998 at 04:09:48PM +0200, Christian Brandt wrote:

> > We don't and the respective "One language fits all" attitude is pissing of
> > quite a number of people. Remember that people on this list tend do be
> If you want localized software, localize it. Its a good case of "code
> matters".

Alles klar. :)

> > wants to succeed beyond a certain limit it will have to become multiligual
> > despite all the technical problems this will result in.
> The worst thing to do would be to localize all and everything:
> mount -> anmelden

argl ... no, please don't.

you know, there was an attempt by Borland of translating Pascale code:
(skip this if you've just had lunch, PLEASE)

__--- CUT ---__
Programm foo;
Benutzt crt,dos;

Funktion(var1,var2:Ganzzahl):Fliesskomma;
BEGINN
SchreibZl('blah');
{ ... }
Liefere return_value;
ENDE;
__---CUT---__

This is just about what Microsoft did with Visual Basic, apparently making
it "simpler" for everyone to understand the language. ROTFL...

> This would break all scripts and conventions.

Yup.

> Things which are beyond the scope of "the most silliest expected user"
<g>
> are not worth localizing -> donīt translate the bind-faq or the RIP2-RfC
> or even fdisk and gcc.

no, instead write easy to use frontends for the applications and translate
THEM. (i.e. linuxconf, WebMin, etc.)
I think it's kind of arrogant if we refuse to make Linux easier to
understand for everyone just because "we" understand it.

> So there are mainly two things: Localize graphical applications and
> their documentation. KDE took already care of these two points (love KDE
> or hate it).

> Life is short and in most cases it ends with death - Sir Sinclair

"Das Leben ist ein zeitlich begrenzter Prozess, der normalerweise durch den
Tod beendet wird."
("Life is a time-limited process and usually ended by death.")

-- Result of a research project the city of Hamburg paid $6000 for
;)

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________http://www.pinguin.conetix.de_
    cat /dev/boiler/water | tea | sieve > /cup