Re: DU binaries and /sbin/loader (argv[0] problem?) (FIXED! PATCH!)

Jim Gettys (jg@pa.dec.com)
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 07:37:08 -0700

> From: Bob McElrath <mcelrath@draal.physics.wisc.edu>
> Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 23:24:17 -0500 (CDT)
> To: axp-list@redhat.com, debian-alpha@lists.debian.org,
> Linux Kernel List <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>, cadams@ro.com,
> jg@pa.dec.com
> Subject: Re: DU binaries and /sbin/loader (argv[0] problem?) (FIXED! PATCH!)
> -----
> Attached is a patch that fixes the Digital UNIX loading code so that argv[0]
> is properly set. i.e. ps now reveals (for DU 4.0 netscape):
>
> mcelrath 398 0.3 6.4 22768 16528 ? S 23:05 0:01 netscape
> mcelrath 399 0.0 1.5 16872 3896 ? S 23:05 0:00 (dns helper)
>
> With no complaints about /sbin/loader. I think that this is "The Right Way"
> to do it. Herbert Riedel's patch (posted a few days ago) seemed a bit hasty
> in that it left the bprm->loader variable pointing to the executable, not
> /sbin/loader, but this new patch is based on his.
>
> Please test this and let me know your mileage (good *or* bad!).
>
> The patch is also available at ftp://draal.physics.wisc.edu/pub/kernel/

This looks right to me; Wan Teh Chang told me that there should be a dns
helper process like this (he's the person who helped me track down where
the async DNS stuff happened in the Mozilla sources after I had wandered
around for a while looking.

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've tried running some 3.2 DU binaries under RH 5.1 (both 2.0.34 and
> > 2.0.35 kernels) and don't know what to do about the "/sbin/loader
> > being passed as argv[0]" problem.
> >
> > Communicator (communicator-v406-export.alpha-dec-osf3.2.tar.gz)
> > complains about "/sbin/loader: Fatal Error: loader cannot be invoked
> > directly" but then runs ok.
> >
> > XEmacs (as built for DU3.2) gets very confused, thinking that
> > /sbin/loader is supposed to be the xemacs binary!
>
> XEmacs gives me symbol versioning problems (xemacs for DU3.2, I have libs
> for DU4.0...) on libcurses.so. Netscape 4.5 complains of unresolved symbols
> in the binary!!! (I don't think either of these problems are related to the
> /sbin/loader stuff...)

Unresolved symbols means that there is some shared library on DU you need
to move over to Linux, I would guess. By looking at the unresolved symbol,
and looking at the shared libraries on DU, you should be able to figure
out which shared library you need.
- Jim