Re: 2.1.126 hangs at boot

Chris Ricker (kaboom@gatech.edu)
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:08:50 -0500 (EST)

On 25 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.981024191334.402A-100000@cc859044-a.flrtn1.occa.home.com>,
> Rajeev Atluri <rajeev@cc859044-a.flrtn1.occa.home.com> wrote:
> >
> >Exactly the same problem with Cyrix 6x86, UP, 64MB, egcs-1.1a,
> >binutils-2.9.1, Had no problems from 2.0.95 to 2.0.125.
>
> Can you check with a different compiler? There's a few people that seem
> to have this problem, but it seems rare enough that a compiler could be
> the reason..

I have a machine here with almost the exact same configuration (UP Cyrix, 64
MB, egcs-1.1b). It has binutils-2.9.1.0.4 (yeah, I know I should upgrade)
instead of GNU binutils 2.9.1, but otherwise is the same, as egcs-1.1b and
1.1a are the same on Intel). It boots fine and always has.... Perhaps the
binutils is the problem, or perhaps too high of an optimization for the egcs
(I use -O2)?

later,
chris