Re: PCI Modem Support

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 01:16:57 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Khimenko Victor <khim@sch57.msk.ru>
To: barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com <barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com>;
vladimid@red.seas.upenn.edu <vladimid@red.seas.upenn.edu>; mj@ucw.cz
<mj@ucw.cz>; khim@sch57.msk.ru <khim@sch57.msk.ru>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sunday, October 25, 1998 7:14 AM
Subject: Re: PCI Modem Support

(barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com) wrote:

>>>Especially since such thing can not be done reliable in "standard Linux".
>>>Only in RT-Linux :-((
>>>

>AB> This doesn't make sense. Win9x is not real time and yet it supports
>AB> WinModems. If Win9x supports them then Linux should be able to as
well.

>The key word is "as well". Yes, really, exactly "as well". I.e. it will
works
>under small load and will hangs horrible under heavy load. Since this is
usual
>behaviour of all components of Windows9x this is not a big problem for
WinModems
>usage on Windows9x but under Linux this WILL be problem: I'm bet that our
dialup
>will be highly unreliable with moving from our four USR Courier 33600
(connected
>to four COM-ports with no shared IRQ's) to WinModems (this modem connected
comp
>with Pentium 166MMX and 64Mb RAM which is our file-server
>(28 MS DOS/Windows9x/Linux workstations -- trial boot: mars_nwe, samba,
CODA),
>web-server, sql-server, news-server (only few newsgroups though --
something
>like 1000 or so), mail-server, ftp-server, etc). So far all works just fine
>but I'm doubt if WinModem (with Linux-driver, of course :-) will be able to
>work in such environment.

I agree with you that WinModems probably wouldn't perform too well (if not
badly, although we would never really know until a driver happens to be
written) on a heavily loaded system, however I there are many Linux users
out there who do not have heavily loaded systems. And they may be able to
put a WinModem to good use.