Re: INTERFACE FIX: sendfile()

Janos Farkas (Janos.Farkas-nouce/priv-#m92b0lQaWUZMZoWA8wbM1z6FIke@lk9qw.mail.eon.ml.org)
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:39:17 +0100

On 1998-10-24 at 23:27:32, Pavel Machek wrote:
> As a solution, I propose sendfile() works on anything and it just
> falls back internaly to read()/write(). This will allow us to keep
> same interface forever.

Hmm.. I thought sendfile(), as a non-traditional, but very sexy thing.
Yes, it's very cool, but noone should depend on it being available. And
in fact, can't; if you care about other platforms just a little bit, you
have to have a workaround anyway. It's not even in every Linux
installation, since not everyone is/will be able to update to 2.2. The
only problem I see with returning EINVAL in "random" cases is that it's
not a one-liner to keep track when to not use sendfile() again if you
would be hit by using it too much, but I never saw it as a real problem.

--
Janos - Don't worry, my address is real.  I'm just bored of spam.