Re: sb16 duplex and quake

Daniel J. Rodriksson (djr@dit.upm.es)
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:16:26 +0100

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Daniel J. Rodriksson wrote:
>
> >I'm about to modify the patch to overcome this
> >by allocating the 16 bit side of the soundblaster to
> >the first requesting operation rather than having
> >it fixed.
>
> I instead think that it would be better to have it always alloced for
> input as default (and eventually made this tunable). Think at cackewalk.
> Most of time you have a background and you start playing your track after
> a while but you want to be recorded at 16 bit while you don' t care if you
> hear the sound at 8 bit in the meantime.

I already have the patch available to have quake run
but this implies full duplex processes must read before
writing if they want to use the device in full duplex mode.

I tried contacting Alan to see if he thought this was
feasible but haven't had news from him yet.

Actual policy is

16 bit required: 16 bit recording and 8 bit playback
8 bit required: 8 bit recording and 16 bit playback

Expected policy is:
Work as before. If full duplex is required and read
occurs before write remain full duplex, otherwise
switch to semi-duplex behaviour.

I have tried it with quake and works.

Cheers

--
|         Remember Scotch: 'THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE'           |