Re: ARMS WAVING!!! Proposal to fix /proc dainbrammage.

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:21:41 -0500 (EST)

david parsons writes:
> Albert D. Cahalan <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:
>>Mark H. Wood writes:

>>> (My take on this question is that programs should not be looking
>>> in /proc at all; everything shown there should be available in
>>> binary form via syscall,
>>
>> Oh yes! I really hate to parse /proc files. Parsing is not at all
>> reliable, considering unexpected format changes and spelling fixes.
>
> That's not the fault of the /proc filesystem, but of the people
> who promiscuously change the format of entries there without
> considering the consequences.

It is the fault of the /proc filesystem for being so tempting to reformat.
Ugly files like /proc/*/stat are seldom damaged, while pretty files like
/proc/*/status are often broken.

We wouldn't have so many problems if all /proc files were just a series
of space-delimited numbers without labels.