Re: Is /proc ASCII or Binary?

Vladimir Dergachev (vladimid@red.seas.upenn.edu)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 13:11:54 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> There's been regular comments over the last few months on the above
> topic, with several viewpoints from each side being put forth.
> However, one apparently simple means of allowing BOTH to coexist has
> just occurred to me, and I'd like to ask what's wrong with it before I
> take it any further...
>
> When a program opens a file for input, one of the flags it can set on
> that file is the one indicating whether the file is in RAW or COOKED
> mode. Is there any reason why we couldn't make use of this flag with
> the /proc files, with RAW mode producing results in BINARY format
> ready for direct input to another program, and COOKED mode producing a
> human-readable ASCII output?

A simpler way is to have two subdirectories "ASCII" and "BINARY"
with ascii being modular. This way people who want to save some space
can stick with BINARY version, and people who want it to be readable
can use ASCII..

Of course this doesn't mean anything in the absense of some program that
automatically produces proc contents.. (like lex does with parsers)

Vladimir Dergachev