Re: How do I fix the problem with rvplayer?

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:40:46 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Ville Hallik wrote:

> Rvplayer distributed with latest netscape (RealPlayer, Version 5.0.0.35) can
> be made to work with the latest kernels simply by using the following stupid
> commandline (back up old executable before trying this!):
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=rvplayer bs=1 count=1 seek=657586 conv=notrunc
>
> This "fix" removes O_NONBLOCK from the open() call flags used to open audio
> device. There is one drawback --- rvplayer does not work well when /dev/dsp
> is already in use by other programs.

I found mine was still trying to open /dev/dsp with O_NONBLOCK... and used
this to whack it some more:

dd if=/dev/zero of=rvplayer bs=1 count=1 seek=665986 conv=notrunc

it's still a little touchy, dies out pretty easily if I get my machine
going busy (it's 2.1.125 SMP). But it lasts longer with that extra
O_NONBLOCK removed.

Dean