Re: Linux 2.1.125 doesn't dump core on SIGSEGV

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
28 Oct 1998 12:04:44 +0100

In dist.linux.kernel, article <909551496.30024@noris.de>,
"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@kf8nh.apk.net> writes:
> In message <m0zYGuU-0007UkC@the-village.bc.nu>, Alan Cox writes:
> | Its a nice solution. I still miss the approach some non unix platforms have
> | where when the program takes the fatal exception its frozen and dumped under
> | the debugger
>
> So? Put together a replacement for the exec*() family and use LD_PRELOAD.

I'd rather like to see a method to tell the kernel to stop a process
instead of coredumping.

That way, the shell will notice, and you can either attach to the thing
with gdb, or tell it to continue (at which point it'll drop core for real).

Appropriate modifications to the shell (or to your favorite window manager)
are then not a problem.

My idea of a kernel interface would be to add another flag bit to the
clone() syscall.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/