Re: 2.1.126, 2.1.127pre2 sound problems continue

Daniel J. Rodriksson (djr@dit.upm.es)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:44:37 +0100

Craig Condit wrote:

> The sound code is broken in 2.1.126 and 2.1.127pre2 for other programs
> besides quake. Direct output to /dev/dsp works fine, as does x11amp.
> However, xgal also has problems - it outputs no sound whatsoever.
>
> My theory is that xgal is opening /dev/dsp read-write as quake is, and
> therefore is getting a full duplex connection, causing it to fail on
> 16-bit sound output. Any ideas here? Is this a kernel problem or a
> problem with xgal? I suspect the kernel, as it worked flawlessly in
> kernel <= 2.1.125.

Let's try to make it clear:
2.1.126 ( deriving from 2.1.125-ac3 ) includes the sb16 full duplex
support but removes the possibility to have a full duplex program
use mmap ( 8-16 and 16-8 format conversion happen when you use
read and write ).

I'm working in having quake and others that open the device readwrite
but only use playback work.

But, I would say that these programs can be considered buggy, since
they do something they are not suppossed to do ( open in readwrite
when writeonly should suffice ).

I love quake too, so I'll make it work. Other choices would be
removing the full duplex support from the sb16 driver or getting
to technical docs, describing how to have true 16 bit duplex
support using sb16 ( I don't really know whether this can
be done :) )

Cheers

--
|         Remember Scotch: 'THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE'           |