Re: Parts ^W Linux is Linux

Trever Adams (highlander@teleteam.net)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:48:12 -0600

Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> According to Trever Adams:
> > Is Linux Linux? Or are we going to pull a Linux is Linux but this and
> > that syscall are not available on this or that platform so developers
> > need to know which platform they are on?
>
> You ought to check over the syscall lists for various architectures.
> They're not as unified as you seem to think.

That would indeed be why I posted this message. I don't believe in
things being called the same unless they are for all practical purposes
the same. Here though maybe they are the same for practical purposes.

> > [If] you are going to have a major syscall on several platforms (I
> > imagine Sparc/UltraSparc isn't the only one), you need to have it on
> > all.
>
> Not necessarily. Sometimes libc is the right place for that kind of
> adaptation:
>
> int
> getpagesize()
> {
> #ifdef i386
> return 4096;
> #else
> return sys_getpagesize();
> #endif
> }
>
> That said ... I happen to like sysconf() infinitely more than a unique
> system call for just one system characteristic.

I think I would agree with you on the system calls better being one for
things like this. I see your point now. But that means every language
(programming) that needs to use the syscall has to have the same kind of
thing, or the "functions" they provide would have to do it.

I suppose this is one place where I guessed wrong about user space vs
kernel space issues.

Trever