Re: 4MB pages and framebuffer access, x11perf results, 2.1.125

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:22:31 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> layer how complicates it oevrmuch for little gain. The generated code was
> fairly horrible when everything checked the 4M bit in the PMD (it's
> actualy in the pgd, but I used the pmd macros to clean up the conceptual
> idea).

i think the check could be done within pmd_bad() [pgd_bad()] conditions,
which branches already exist for all relevant cases. Thus the code path
would not differ for normal mappings.

> This is pretty non-negotiable, especially if you ever expect to be able to
> back-port any chages like this into 2.2.x.

yep.

-- mingo