Re: IDE tape and SMP

Douglas Ridgway (ridgway@gmcl.com)
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:05:16 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Gadi Oxman wrote:

> The ide-tape + SMP problem reported by Matthew Hunter was that
> after about one hour of backup, the backup process would lock
> in the 'D' state.
>
> Andre Hedrick and Alex Buell reported seemingly SMP related
> irq timeouts and DSC timeouts.
>
> I'm not sure whether the second case is SMP related, but I can
> believe that the first is.

I think the problem I see is similar to the second case:

Oct 24 23:24:35 ursula kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd8 { Busy }
Oct 24 23:24:36 ursula kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
Oct 24 23:24:36 ursula kernel: ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = a, key =
6, asc = 29, ascq = 0

and the tar fails with an I/O error.

For me, it happens about half the time while running UP. Under SMP, I
don't think I tried more than a couple of times.

doug.