Re: unremovable files and possible fs corruption (2.1.123)

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
30 Oct 1998 14:39:57 +0100

"Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> writes:
> Theodore Y. Ts'o writes:
> >
> > Actually, UFS's two immutable flags (immutable and append-only)
> > exactly correspond to the two immutable flags we have in ext2fs.
>
> No way. UFS has two immutable flags, period. It also two append-only
> flags.

... which is just plain silly, IMHO. This sort of finegrained access
control belongs into ACLs -- instead of a flag "the file belongs to user X,
but it's append-only and X may not change that", the file should belong to
root and have an ACL "X may append to the file".

And *poof*, suddenly it's even more finegrained and doesn't require
"root" either.

This is a fine case for differentiating between flags-for-generic-struct-stat
and flags-in-a-fs-specific-stuff-union.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/