Re: Bad TTY Magic Number -> Memory Initialization Problem?

Terence Murphy (tsmurphy@ichips.intel.com)
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:06:01 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > initializing the variable GLOBAL_IRQ_LOCK to 0 (in
> > arch/i386/kernel/setup.c). This is a static variable, so it should
> > have been initialized to 0, that's why I suspect it might be an
> > initialization (or a corruption) problem.
>
> That sounds like you are not clearing the BSS of the kernel on
> boot up.

OK, I was thinking this would be the problem. Where does BSS clearing
occur? I see it in arch/i386/kernel/head.S and this is executing for
me. The only possible problem is if the __bss_start symbol is not
correct, but I don't see why it would be. Also, I clear the entire memory
map in head.S (right before the BSS clear, in fact), so I'm quite sure
this is not the problem.

It seems like this would need to be done after the kernel is decompressed.
Is it?

Could the RAM disk be a problem? I assume the kernel isn't trying to
use that memory.

> Also are you setting the chipset stuff up if you have no BIOS

Yes. The chipset is initialized (we have a lot of code that is run
when the machine is powered on, and before linux is launched to do this).
It is not initialized to run an operating system, however. While this
will cause issues down the line (e.g. MP not working), I don't think the
corruption or lack of initialization is caused by the chipset's state.

> > not sure if this is an issue for this. Linux thinks the Quad Xeon
> > in a single cpu Celeron. ;-) I would like to try to build a kernel
> > without SMP defined (I'm not sure how to do this) to be sure.
>
> It relies on the BIOS for the IRQ table

Oh really? Hmm...this definitely isn't set up but I've had no
problems with interrupts.

> and the MP configuration data
> block right now. See arch/i386/kernel/smp.c - you probably want to write
> yourself one.

OK, that's why MP isn't working. I'll look into this after I solve
the corruption/initialization problem.

Regards,

Terry Murphy (speaking only for myself)