Re: ppp and 2.1.126/2.1.125

Mark Cooke (mpc@star.sr.bham.ac.uk)
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 14:21:28 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Matthias Andree wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 01, 1998 at 09:47:08AM -0500, flewid wrote:
> > Hi, i have tried installing 2.1.126, and then tried using ppp, and it did
> > not work, it dials my ISP, then doesnt resolv my ip's for some reason, it
> > just sits there and then hangs up, what is weird is, im using the exact
> > same configureation for 2.0.35, and it works just fine.

<snip>

> > i haven't a clue as to what is causing this, is there
> > something im forgetting to do? please feel free to tell me :)
>
> With 2.1.125, pppd is fine IF it is patched to NOT bail out if it
> cannot set the route. (This is needed to break the chain "link not up"
> <-> "cannot set route": pppd lets ppp? come up only after setting the
> default route while linux 2.1.125 lets the route be set only after the
> device has come up). There are patches, I do not remember where, search
> the archives.

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/ppp.txt has the patch which
applies to 2.2.0f, and with a tiny bit of massaging to 2.3.3 (as
supplied with Redhat, f'r instance).

Patched Redhat 5.1 based rpms/srpms/sources/specs for ppp-2.3.3 are
available here:

ftp://pc24.sr.bham.ac.uk/pub/packages/RPMS/i386/ppp-2.3.3-4mc2.i386.rpm
ftp://pc24.sr.bham.ac.uk/pub/packages/SRPMS/ppp-2.3.3-4mc2.src.rpm