Re: 2.1.126: Possible bug in fschk/corrupted inode handling

Meino Christian Cramer (root@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de)
Mon, 02 Nov 1998 19:01:59 GMT

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: 2.1.126: Possible bug in fschk/corrupted inode handling
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 18:41:25 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Alan!

> > Hmmm - how can I force the HD to check the blocks -- or asking the other way:
> > IF the bios has already checked the blocks and DON'T fopund anything bad --
> > what happens to my partition then?
>
> It depends on your controller how you do a scsi verify (unless someone has
> a linux tool for it ?).

I have a ncr53c815...

> All scsi verify does is read each block and if its bad
> or marginal (remember the drive knows more than the end OS can see) it will
> remap it, and if possible copy the data to the remapped block. At that
> point e2fsck should be happy.

Good to know. So -- the SCSI-verify is something I have to initiate once -- or
do I have to ALLOW the controller to do a SCSI verify?

(Sorry for that much questions -- but this happens the first time to me.)

> > Any help will be very appreciated cause I am in fear for my system...
>
> SCSI verify is basically asking the disk to clean itself. When you get
> disk errors making a backup is very smart anyway.

Yesterday I made a full backup (DDS2 DAT-Streamer): Nevertheless -- installing
root again is much more efoort than everything else not that vital stuff...

KEEP HACKING!
Meino