Re: ARMS WAVING!!! Proposal to fix /proc dainbrammage.

Mon, 2 Nov 1998 16:19:13 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Mark H. Wood wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Hans Eric Sandström wrote:
> > It seems to me that you are reinventing the /dev/kstat interface that is
> > present in Solaris. Just do a man kstat on a solaris box...
>
> Well, if this is addressed to me, what I am reinventing (for those who
> haven't guessed) is the VMS SYS$GETSYI() and SYS$GETJPI() calls. You hand
> the system a list of buffers, with their sizes and the "names" of the
> quantities you'd like to have them filled with. When control returns,
> zero or more of the buffers are filled and the returned condition code
> tells you if there was a problem and, if so, what it was. The list is
> terminated with a null item-code kind of like an ASCIZ string. Like so:
[SNIPPED]

Yep. One new system call that takes a pointer to a parameter list does
it all. It could be simplified over the VAX/VMS method by putting the
length of the list as the first parameter. The system fills in stuff
in a predefined order until the list is full.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.126 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).