Re: ppp and 2.1.126/2.1.125

Michael Talbot-Wilson (mtw@calypso.view.net.au)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:00:07 +1030 (CST)

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, flewid wrote:

> > minicom to connect my ISP (I have a shell access) then start from remote
> > shell the pppd, then quit minicom and start local pppd, all works fine.
>
> hmm, i havent tried using minicom to connect, but this is a real hassle
> doing it this way :) i will try that later

I haven't been following the thread all that carefully. Pardon me
if this has already been said: If you don't control the remote,
have you obtained the relevant parts of the log file from whoever
does? Have you determined the time difference between the two
machines and can you exactly correlate the two files?

In other words (I think you said you were timing out during LCP
ConfReqs): Is the other end receiving the ConfReqs? Is it
replying? The problem, making the reasonable assumption that it is
at your end, is either that your kernel/serial port/modem is not in
fact sending them, even though pppd is asking for them to be sent,
or else it is sending them, and replies are arriving, but the
replies are being ignored at the modem/port/kernel level.

Have you tried another serial port? Another card? Another kernel?
Reviewed the modem init string? Tried another modem?

Apologies if this has all been covered.

I've noticed some elaborate conf.modules mailed and I think it's
something more basic than that. It's not so hard that you have to
be a conf.module guru to get ppp to work. AFAIK off the top of my
head, you don't even need to use a module unless you want BSD
compression.